Updated Electrs today on start9 and from what I can tell it requires bitcoin core version 31… or greater, wont work with Bitcoin Knots on this setup. I attempted to sideload the prior version of electrs but it was rejected. Curious which config you might suggest to keep 2 chains running on the same node (original and blake2b)
Yes, I’m working on a fork of Knots that rebases from Core 31. Should have it out this weekend. I plan to maintain a SHA256 fork of Knots long term as Luke did, pulling relevant updates from both upstreams, and ensuring there are filtering options for any new spam features Core decides to add. In the mean time, though, the two that NumbSkull mentioned will work (just requires re-indexing, which is a pain).
That sounds awesome. Just for my understanding both Streams refers to latest Core updates that relate to spam reduction and what other Stream? Latest Blake2B? I was imagining that at some point in the future should unpopular changes come from Core there would be no where for node runners to go that are not running Blake2B. So I guess this is your future aim? Love your work
( and Yes in an ideal world I would prefer decentralized mining and node runners calling the shots; just not sure the system will allow us that freedom without some seismic change we have yet to see )
I was using electrs with Knotspre-rdts. What should I do to get up and running again? I am starting to install Bitcoin Knots (SHA256) Companion. Should I uninstall Knotspre-rdts now (if I have two versions of the chain I will run out of memory)?
Well DO NOT upgrade Electrs as doesn’t support Knotspre-rdts anymore. But if you did then I think Fulcrum for 256 and Electrs Pruned for Blake2B will be the way to go forward. If you’re box doesn’t have memory for a full and pruned chain then thats a hardware limitation that no software config can solve.. I have 16GB mem and 2T storage and all is fine
Electrs Pruned supports both chains, so it is an option if you aren’t already using it for your second node. Otherwise Fulcrum is still compatible I believe, or wait until I have an updated version of Knots SHA256 published.
By both upstreams, I meant Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin Knots. Core is the reference implementation, so I rebase from it like Luke used to do (this is what fixes version incompatibilities), then I analyize all updates on current Bitcoin Knots and if there are any relevant security or policy updates that can be mapped back to the SHA256 chain without breaking concensus, I adapt those as well.
Hi Paul, Can I ask what in Bitcoin Knots (SHA256) Companion needs an update? Is that to work with Fulcrum or something else that you refer to? I started the fulcrum indexing today as a consequence of Electrs now only supporting jpegchain
It feels like a squeeze commences now to force down knots adoption so thank you for giving options to those that can understand ( small group and all that it is.. )
Nothing in Bitcoin Knots (SHA256) Companion needs updating today (it will be updated with latest version of Knots SHA256 once I get that out). Electrs Pruned still works with it. Fulcrum does not work with it (Fulcrum would be for if you are using Bitcoin Knots Pre-RDTS).
Yes, this is a real problem. I’m going to reach out to Matt Hill to see if I can convince him to let me list Bitcoin Knots SHA256 in the Community Registry (rather than requiring folks to add my Start9 registry to get access to it). It would be really cool to get it back up onto the official Start9 registry, but of course it will require building sufficient reputation for that to happen (getting listed on the Community Registry would be a big first step in the right direction).
COR, as they sy in London! That is really (KNOT) Free!!! I want to keep Electrs just the way it is to sync with my old Sparrow for the jpeg chain as I have my Lollie there still. Maybe someone helps us understand what to do with out sts from BTC, so that we don’t lose them when moving them to XBT? If I buy XBT with the old sats will I keep my Blake2b paralel sats on the new chain?
I am sure this is a dumb question but IF Knots is the same as Bitcoin Core but with the more aggressive filters pre-installed and configured according to a view to the RTDS standards (is that even correct?), and the issue here that I am also wrestling with myself is that I can’t use the SHA256 chain on my own node, now updated to start9 0.4.0.1, because electrs requires knots 31.1:17 or greater. Then why isnt the simple fix just running Bitcoin Core and manually changing the filters to match pre-RDTS knots, so electrs will work? Is this an tribal team allegiance thing or is that really not working somehow, or am I just not understanding how things have changed?
It is an option, but there are a couple of gotchas – most of the anti-spam filters in Knots do not exist in Core (some of the big ones are there, but it is by no means as configurable). And secondly, it increases the percentage of Core nodes on the network, which takes pressure off them to do any better, and makes it look like the monetary maximalists have given up or left the room with Luke and team.
This has turned out to be a bit more involved than I optimistically expected. It isn’t difficult, just a lot of little pieces to get sequenced correctly. I’ll continue working on this, but it won’t be ready as quickly as I had hoped. In the mean time, presumably you could side-load an earlier version of electrs and wait to upgrade (though I think @Fletcher may have hit a snag with that, I’ll let him comment on if he was able to resolve the issue). That would be ideal since you could presumably keep your index. The other option is to switch to Fulcrum (but that is a couple days of re-indexing).
I rolled back 2 versions of electrs and neither were happy with Knots 29.3.27, so no joy there. As I’m not mining on SHA256 I’m happy to wait. Sorry this is not more helpful.