Due to the way Start9 does their package updates, starting today I will only be releasing updates for my apps to 0.4.0.2. This is in response to a dependency that broke in my latest Mempool Pruned update (which required a version of Bitcoin Knots Pre-RDTS that only exists on 0.4.0.2).
I managed to get around that problem by publishing a down-graded version on Mempool Pruned (which appears as an update) in 0.4.0.1 and another updated version of Mempool Pruned that only appears on 0.4.0.2. Needless to say, I don’t want a repeat of that mistake, so the best way to do that is to just target StartOS 0.4.0.2 moving forward. Please upgrade StartOS if you haven’t yet, at your earliest convenience. Be sure to stop all your services and make a fresh backup before you begin, just in case something goes wrong in the update.
Did you install StartOS 0.4.0.2 update on your Minisforum 1290? The one with the “picky” BIOS…
(Version 02.22.0058 Copyright 2024 American Megatrends. BIOS Version 1.06)
Just wondering if the BIOS boot loop returned for you? (It did for me)
It seems like all of these OS updates re-create the boot partition (which undid the earlier changes you showed us in the “Fixing BIOS loop after StartOS install” guide.)
I’m thinking it may be better to repurpose my Minisforum with this BIOS as a “client” rather than a “server”.
Yes, it is every update unfortunately. Let me see if I can fix it and put in a PR for Start9. I’ve built up a little reputation during my pruned node work and got a few PRs merged to their proxy component for that. They might consider it (though it is touching a more critical piece, so they might be more shy to update it)
I don’t want to create extra work for you. I know your busy with other projects.
I have the the server running. I just can not restart it without being physically at the server in Kiosk Mode. Which proved to be frustrating as the new OS update rolled out as I was traveling. So the server cycled in this boot loop for 3 days until I returned.
I had been using this Minisforum 1265 as a server because of the device not supporting AMT technology. As you explained in your video “Start 9 Server Pure, but half the price”.
I had been thinking about migrating to some different hardware.
I haven’t really been able to afford any new devices since the RAM/SSD crisis. The only new miniPC I have gotten since the UN1290 (which has the same problem you have with yours) is an ASUS Ascent GX10 (to use for testing StartOS’s AI features). It is an awesome device, but not relevant to what you are looking for, since those are quite a bit pricier than standard miniPCs. Unfortunately, I had to sell a painfully large chunk of my Bitcoin stack to buy it.